Monday, January 25, 2010

The joy of teaching!

I had always wanted to become a scientist. At least that's what I used to say when I was a kid. You know how it is with adults, they all want to know what you'll become when you grow up. Maybe they don't want us to make the same mistakes, or than again, maybe they do!
So imagine their surprise (and maybe horror!) when they found this little girl (with a small pony on the top of her head!) wearing a flowered cotton dress saying, 'I want to become a scientist'.
Honestly, I don't have a clue as to how I got this into my head. When I was a kid we had no Dexter's Laboratory or Cartoon Network. I grew up watching Sesame Street, Tom & Jerry, He-man, and of course, Thunder Cats. There was also Transformers which I watched just because I had a huge crush on Optimus Prime (still do!).
Anyways, I am no scientist. Nope. I don't think I have found a career yet and I'm still on the look out. I've found the love of my life but I am still in search of the work of my life. But if there is anything that has come close to the perfect work, it's my teaching.
Teaching seems to be in my genes. Both my grandfathers, maternal and paternal, were in education. My mother and, now, my mother-in-law are in the same field. Besides the genetic code, I love to talk and so, teaching comes sort of naturally to me!
So, what do I love about it? Well, there is the interaction with people from diverse backgrounds. Every semester is a learning experience for me as well. Some of the students make a strong impact and even if they don't keep in touch, I remember them. Some are very naughty, others are quiet, some are a lot of fun, some have the cutest smiles, some amaze, some amuse and a select few are actually an inspiration!
The relationship I have with my students is a temporary one. We're together for approximately four months and we meet only once a week but we end up developing a very strong bond. With some this bond extends beyond a semester while others fade away as soon as the semester ends.
I've been very lucky these past three years to have worked with some of the most amazing students. What makes teaching a joy is the knowledge that I have contributed something that has become a part of their lives, no matter how minuscule. Sometimes, very generously, they give me credit for something. Yes, it is ego - boosting but it also humbles me greatly. I owe them more for providing me the chance to teach them and trusting me to deliver.
This blog is dedicated to all of my amazing students! Thank you for making me a very proud teacher. I am so glad I'm not a scientist!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this dedication. I am also privileged to have you as my teacher, and you were one of the best mentors, I have came across in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. u r an awesome teacher who has influenced and touched the lives of many students; especially mine! thank u :) i am glad to have studied from u

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud to have a daughter like you !!!

    ReplyDelete