Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Post # 12 - Ramzan, Ramadhan - the debate continues

The very first roza of 2019 was pretty uneventful for me as I was not fasting. Woke up at sehri with the worst possible sore throat. Even swallowing my saliva hurt so I decided to not fast and thus spent the entire day sipping hot water with honey and doing gargles. 

A few years back, maybe six, I woke up on the first day of Ramzan feeling really low. I felt useless. I wasn't working and what was worse, I wasn't writing at all (I hadn't become a part of DWL at that time). Let's just say I felt like shit as I stood in front of the cupboard, trying to decide whether to wear my diamond ring or not.

When I say diamond ring, please don't get carried away with thoughts of opulent diamonds set around a solitaire. Let's just leave it at a small diamond ring and continue with the story. I slipped on the ring and drove out to do some errands starting with a visit to the tailor. 

It was a little early in the day, maybe around 11ish. As I stood talking to my tailor about something, I saw a motorcycle stop in front of the shop and a bulky looking man got off. I didn't think much of it as there was a motor mechanic shop next door and obviously I assumed he was going there. But apparently, that wasn't where he was going. Entering the shop calmly, he showed us a gun and well, asked us for our valuables. 

I hadn't got much cash on me and though he tried to take my wallet, I refused to give it to him. I carried a rather ordinary mobile phone at that time which, of course, he took. My tailor gave him some cash. And then, he asked for my ring. I resisted first. I pretended it wasn't coming off but he waved the gun menacingly and there was nothing I could do. 

I still remember how my tailor and myself stood in shock for a little while. Not just at what had happened but how smoothly it all had happened. Even his workers sitting upstairs  hadn't realized there was drama unfolding downstairs. 

The funny thing is that just before going to my tailor's shop, I was thinking of making a stop over at a grocery store nearby. Had I done that, I'd have missed the mugger. But sometimes it's the little decisions we make that kind of intersect with the path of others and lead to certain consequences. 

Coincidentally, I went to the same tailor at the same shop yesterday, first of Ramzan. And yes, I haven't changed my tailor. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a good tailor in this day and age? You find one - you stick with him! Anyways, I mentioned the incident to him and he said, 'Even I was thinking about it today when I opened the shop.' 

Isn't it weird and funny how we share some moments of our life with people who aren't even very close to us? That was the first time both of us had got mugged and it's a memory we'll have forever. Not that my tailor gave me any discounts after sharing the trauma of being mugged. 

Do you have some sort of memory/incident associated with first of Ramzan? Or Ramadhan? Or whatever and however you refer to this month of fasting, feasting and everything else in between. Happy fasting! 

2 comments:

  1. For me the advent of any ritualistic season is a nightmare...the obsession with fasting, wearing it on our sleeves, the depressing media circus and the mad rush for counting the 'Naikees' always starts a downward spiral for me which culminates in the ultimate ritual of EID-planned rituals of happiness and the mechanistic behavioural episodes are really an existential challenge...and a turn off for me ever since i can remember...

    For a month, normal life remains suspended which seems a big waste...For the working guys like me, the disturbed sleep , the low sugar level, the dehydration and the headache around mid-day is a torture. But happily, i have learned not to be too serious about it and have grown out of a 'Be-Niaz" but god of torture watching us for our small blemishes in an already tough life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramzan is tough, agreed. For me this year, because of the twins, the difficulty level was quite high as compared to before but somehow I managed to get through it with my sanity intact!

      Also, I have seen your comment on my latest blog post but somehow it isn't showing up on the blog. Thanks for reaching out to me. Means a lot to have insightful and detailed comments from readers. As soon as it shows up on the blog, I will reply to it!

      Delete