Saturday, September 3, 2011

J. & Me


Jaundice and I were companions for two weeks. Jaundice played host while I lay on my bed, trying to ignore its antics but not succeeding much. After a few days, though, it lost steam and lay around, sulking. Recently it’s tired of my company and pays a visit occasionally. Not that I miss it much and I hope never to see it again. Not only did it drain me and leave me weak and sick, but also because I became confined to my bed and became a prisoner of the telly. I watched it all; re-runs of movies on HBO, cooking shows prior to iftar, all kinds of stupid Indian films, and lots of reality shows (including Wipe Out) on AXN.

My Ramazan came to an abrupt halt because of jaundice. Karachi, too, it seems was suffering and its pain was greater than mine. This Ramazan has to be one of the most deadliest and dramatic in terms of terrorism and politics for Pakistan. Is our country plagued with a disease which is incurable? Or have we turned a blind eye to the suffering of our motherland? One day the whole city comes to a standstill and the very next day life resumes at its normal pace. Are we resilient or have we become numb to the happenings around us? Question marks everywhere but no answers seem to be forthcoming from any quarter.

I need to rest now otherwise J. might just pay me another visit. 

4 comments:

  1. Question marks everywhere but no answers seem to be forthcoming from any quarter.

    Karachi, too, it seems was suffering and its pain was greater than mine.

    >>> Loved these lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are back in full fitness and form :)

    AhMeD

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jollybravo: Yes, I am feeling almost a 100%! Karachi, unfortunately, is still on antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete